Implementation of market coupling in MATLAB
The rising share of renewable energies and its volatile infeed of electricity result in decreasing prices in national spot markets. The concept of market coupling represents a key instrument to equalize electricity prices in Europe by sharing of cheap renewable energy. Market coupling effectively uses available capacities of interconnectors between bidding areas and therefore decreases country-specific surpluses and deficits and contributes to price convergence across different markets.
This thesis focuses on the development of a market coupling model in MATLAB using linear programming. The aim of this model is to determine volumes and prices in each national day-ahead market and the amount of electricity transferred between bidding areas for the day-ahead timeframe. Therefore, offers from power plant operators to different day-ahead markets and available transmission capacities must be taken into account. To optimize market prices, technical and economic constraints must be considered. All results must be documented and evaluated in written form.
The study has to cover the following points:
• Literature research on market coupling
• Optimization of market prizes in different bidding areas
• Development of scenarios with different transmission capacities, loads as well as amount and types of offers
• Comparison of market prices with and without market coupling
• Implementation of market coupling in MATLAB
• Evaluation and documentation of the results
|No Bids Placed|